Sunday, December 29, 2013

Even zombies can't shake a headshot!

Gruesome, isn't it.  Out here in Northeastern CO, we have beautiful hunting and wildlife, but the epidemic known as "mange" is hurting our coyote population.  My research shows that "mange" is a parasite that gets under the hair follicle of canines,eats and breeds, eventually killing the fur hair by hair.  As winter strikes and cold sets in this makes it hard for coyotes to stay warm, and as it gets worse so do they.  In a short matter of time they don't think straight, they are prone to other sicknesses, and they die a slow, ugly death.  Mange doesn't affect humans, and if your domestic dog shows signs a shot from the vet will fix them right up.  I did this dog a favor, but I wish I would have had the tools and thaw ground to bury him so that other dogs don't come rub on him and eat him resulting in the spread of this nasty bug.  I have heard all kinds of rumors regarding where mange has come from, or why it's growing, but I don't believe anyone actually knows.  This poor critter was coming to my mouth call at 94 yards, and had no idea that I was even in the area, leading to a very sound head shot.  I'm glad to put him down, but the idea that this parasite is killing more and more coyotes is very concerning.  I will continue to research and consult the DOW on what we can do to help continue controlling coyote populations, while keeping them healthy.  This just goes to show once again that hunters truly do see what goes on in the wild, and care a lot more than the tree huggers who rally together to stop the "bad guys" think we do.  I'll be your bad guy, I hope P.E.T.A. puts on a rally to stop mange.

No comments:

Post a Comment